As a platform championing the words and stories of women, we’re always looking for new writers to shout about. We accept most kinds of writing – but before you submit to us, there are a few things to note.
The submissions process for our books operates separately to our online themes. We are currently accepting submissions for our first single-author collection of work, and you can find out more about submitting here.
Every two months, we open submissions on a new online theme by sharing a letter – sign up here to receive it straight to your inbox.
Past themes have included PLAY, NATURE and CONNECTION, with all past responses to these themes safely stored in our fabulous archive. Unfortunately it isn’t possible for us to feature everything that we receive, but every submission receives a helpful and timely response.
If you are looking for in-depth feedback on a submission, this is something we now offer exclusively to the members of our Patreon. Find out more and sign up here.
We accept all forms of writing: fiction, non-fiction and poetry, as well as everything in between. If you have something to say we want to hear from you. However, we only accept submissions that are emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow these guidlines:
- Please state the monthly theme in the subject line, along with the title and your author name, and attach your contribution as a Word or Google document (PDFs won’t be accepted)
- Please provide a short synopsis of the work (2–3 sentences), and in the case of prose please highlight whether your work falls into fiction, non-fiction or creative non-fiction
- Please also supply a short biography – even if you’ve submitted before, it’s useful to have your latest version. We can include a link to one of your social media handles, and one link to a blog or website. Please follow this format, using hyperlinks as below:
Name Here | @twitterhandle | anyotherlinkshere.com
Please include a short bio about yourself here, written in the third person. One or two sentences works best, and feel free to include extra links within the bio itself.
All pieces must adhere to the following:
- Your submission must be of your own work.
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
- The title of the submitted piece must not be the same as the theme name.
- Please use UK spelling throughout and format your piece using single quotation marks for speech.
- We cannot accept any piece of writing that exceeds 2,000 words
- Your submission must not have been published on any other writing platform, aside from personal blogs and websites. If your submission has been previously published on your personal blog, please provide us with a link to the post.
- There’s no limit on how many times you can submit to DD, however, we cannot accept more than one piece per writer per month. The exception to this rule is a collection of poems, which we may be able to combine into one post.
What’s most important to us is the chance to read your work, so if you’re unsure if it’s right for DD, please do send it in – we’d love to hear from you.
DD was created as an inclusive and welcoming space. As a platform set up to champion the writing of others, we believe in the power of words – not only for their capacity to share stories, but also in the way that they empower the person who writes them.
We accept writing from all self-identifying women, transgender, nonbinary and marginalised people who identify with the experience of gender inequality.
We always want to publish diversely, and we’re especially keen to hear from women of colour and marginalised writers.
We hope that you feel comfortable sharing your experience and voice with us. If you don’t feel we are the right platform for you, here are a few of our favourite platforms amplifying marginalised voices:
Dear Damsels currently exists as a volunteer-run platform, but we continue to work towards changing that. Being published is such an important landmark for an emerging writer, as is reflecting this in payment for their work. While we cannot offer payment to the writers we publish online, we do host regular submission periods for our print publications and all writers who are selected to feature in our books are paid for their work.
Terms of Service for Dear Damsels
Unless stated, www.deardamsels.com (in this terms of service referred to as Dear Damsels) and/or its licensors and contributors own the intellectual property rights for content published on this website and materials used on Dear Damsels. All these intellectual property rights are reserved.
You must not use Dear Damsels in any way that causes, or may cause damage to the website or its contributors and readers, or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
In these terms of service, ‘your content’ means material that you submit to this website.
You grant Dear Damsels a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty free license to use, reproduce, publish and distribute your content in any existing or future media. Dear Damsels reserves the right to edit or remove any material submitted to this website, or stored on its servers, hosted and published on this website.
The writer retains full copyright of their work.
Your content must not be illegal or unlawful, must not infringe any third party’s legal right and must not be capable of giving rise to legal action.