We’re always looking for new female voices to join our collective
As a platform championing female writing, our aim is to publish a complete range of voices and writing styles. For that reason, we accept most kinds of writing – but before you submit to us, there are a few things to note.
How it works
Every month we open submissions on a new theme by posting a monthly letter (you can sign up and receive it straight to your inbox here). Our past themes have included transit, desire, tribe and nourish, with all past responses to our themes safely stored in our fabulous archive. Unfortunately, try as we might, it isn’t possible for us to feature everything that is submitted to us, but we’ll always give you full feedback either way and if we can’t fit your piece into one theme, we may ask if we can keep hold of it to consider for another upcoming theme.
Guidelines for submitting
We accept all forms of writing – fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, essays, stories, opinion, satire, flash fiction, haikus, lyrics . . . if you have something to say we want to hear from you!
However, we only accept submissions that are emailed to email@example.com in the following format:
- Please state the monthly theme in the subject line, along with the title and your author name, and attach your contribution as a Word or Google document (PDFs won’t be accepted)
- A short synopsis of the work is very helpful to us, and in the case of prose please highlight whether your work falls into fiction, non-fiction or creative non-fiction
- Please also supply a short biography if it’s your first time submitting (and even if it’s not, it’s useful to have the latest version!) as well as details of your social media handles, blogs and/or web pages, so we can link to them when promoting your piece
- The title of the submitted piece must not be the same as the theme name
- We cannot accept any piece of writing that exceeds 2,000 words
All pieces must adhere to the following:
- Your submission must be of your own work
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions
- Your submission cannot have been published on any other writing platform, aside from personal blogs and websites. If your submission has been previously published on your personal blog, please provide us with a link to the post
- There’s no limit on how many times you can submit to DD, however, we cannot accept more than two pieces per writer, per month. The exception to this rule is a collection of poems, which we may be able to combine into one post.
What’s most important to us is the chance to read your work, so if you’re unsure of where your submission fits, or if it’s right for DD, please do send it in! We’d love to read it.